Ten Ways to Make Reading Fun
Reading aloud can be a lot of fun, not just for parents but for all family members.
Here are some ways to get the most out of reading to your young child:
- Read with drama and excitement, using different voices for different characters in the story.
- Use your child’s name instead of a character’s name.
- Make puppets and use them to act out a story.
- Re-read your child’s favourite stories as many times as they want to hear them, and choose books and authors that your child enjoys.
- Read stories that have repetitive parts and encourage your child to join in.
- Point to words as you read them. This will help your child make a connection between the words they hear you say and the words on the page.
- Read all kinds of material – stories, poems, information books, magazine, newspaper articles, and comics.
- Encourage relatives and friends to give your child books as gifts.
- Take your child to the library and look at interactive CDs and the Internet as well as books.
- Subscribe to a magazine for your child. They will love receiving mail!